- 1 (12-inch) lasagna noodle with fluted sides
- Filling Ingredients (see recipe below)
- Creamy Roasted Garlic Sauce (see recipe below)
- 1 tablespoon grated Fontina cheese, divided
- Arugula leaves, spinach leaves, or basil leaves, cut into a chiffonade*
- Lemon zest
- Balsamic vinegar glaze, (Trader Joe's sells in a handy squirt bottle)**
* Chiffonade refers to thin strips or shreds of vegetables used to garnish foods. To make a chiffonade, cut the thick main vein from the leaves, stack them, roll them lengthwise, and then cut the thin strips from the ends.
** Faux Aged Balsamic Vinegar - If you don't have this glaze in your pantry - do as the chefs have learned to do, reduce your balsamic vinegar with a little brown sugar.
Cook the lasagna 30 minutes in boiling water; remove from heat, rinse in cold water, drain and set aside. (This can be done ahead of time and refreshed in boiling water just before serving).
Prepare Filling Ingredients and Creamy Roasted Garlic Sauce; set aside until ready to use..
Makes 2 servings.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 ounces Shiitake mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 1 clove garlic, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup leeks, white part only sliced thinly
- 1 artichoke bottom chopped finely
- 1/4 cup dry vermouth
Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat, add the mushrooms, garlic, leeks and artichoke bottom. Saute for approximately 7 to 8 minutes. Add the vermouth and cook until liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper according to taste. This can be made ahead of time and heated before serving.
Creamy Roasted Garlic Sauce ingredients:
- 2 garlic cloves unpeeled
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dry white wine
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Dash of freshly grated Nutmeg
- Kosher salt and cracked pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 400°. Place the garlic cloves in a small piece of foil; drizzle the oil over them, fold up the foil and place in a small oven proof pan. Roast until garlic is soft for 30 minutes.
Remove from oven; when cool squeeze out the garlic and mash it slightly.
Place the mashed garlic in a small saucepan with the dry white wine and whipping cream; reduce until it starts to thicken. Add the Parmesan cheese and nutmeg. Whisk constantly until heated through and fairly smooth. Add salt and pepper according to taste.
Spoon a small amount of Creamy Roasted Garlic Sauce in the middle of each plate.
Lay the lasagna on a flat surface; cut in two crosswise, now you have two strips of lasagna, each are approximately 6-inches long.
Lay noodles out flat, spread approximately 1/4-cup Filling Ingredients evenly over each noodle; add the Fontina cheese. Leave a 1/2-inch border on all sides. Roll up each noodle and place seam
side down on the creamy garlic sauce.
Place the arugula (or spinach or basil) chiffonade and lemon zest on top of the roll. Decorate the plate with Balsamic vinegar glaze and the artichoke recipe is ready to serve. Bon apetit ! Enjoy !